These exotic herbs are known throughout history to affect the dream state. Whether ceremonially or for divination, dream herbs have been utilized by many cultures in various ways for hundreds of years. Here is my top 10 I’ve discovered with a brief description.
1. Dream Herb (Calea Zacetechichi) – Used by the Chontal Natives of Mexico to Divine, Worship and heal. The leaf is said to give great clarity to ones dreams, as if you were speaking to god. It clarifies the senses and gives one a sense of euphoria. It brings about clear prophetic dreams that are often times positive guides to a better life or a clue to helping someone who is sick. Can also be used for Gastro-Intestinal discomfort and loss of appetite.
2. Xhosa Dream Root (Silene Capensis) – Silene Capensis, also known as undlela ziimhlophe by the Xhosa people of the Eastern Cape province of South Africa and has been used for thousands of years by African shamans. The plant is highly regarded as a sacred teacher plant and has been traditionally used with respect, intention and devotion. The root of the plant is used to induce very vivid prophetic lucid dreams, particularly during the initiation ceremonies of shamans and healers.
3. Mugwort (Artemisa Vulgaris) – Used by Europeans for hundreds of years, mugwort is used as a bitter tonic for the stomach and liver. It can be used in the treatment of parasites and worms. A great dream herb for deep dream healing. Sometimes it may give you darker dreams so you can learn more about yourself and further ones healing process. Great for dream recollection!
4. Guayusa (Ilex Guayusa) – Guayusa pronounced “Wayusa” is only of three Holly species known to contain caffiene, yerba mate (Ilex paraguariensis) being one of them and the other species is used in the making of a drink called “black drink”(Ilex Vomitoria). Guayusa is an excellent tasty and stimulating drink. Unlike other caffeinated drinks most people never experience the so called “Shakes” or “Jitters” associated with over caffeination. The indigenous people of Ecuador call it the “Watchmans plant” because it allows them to be sharp and focused during long hunting expeditions. Interestingly enough though it contains high content of caffeine, Guayusa is a well known dream herb used to induce vivid prophetic dreams.
5. Wild Asparagus (Asparagus Lucidus or Cochinensis) – Taoists claim that by consuming Wild Asparagus Root a person gains the ability to fly. This flying symbolizes the ability to rise above things that are mundane and is the freedom of Spirit that can be experienced when one has attained harmony. With prolonged use this herb makes the skin soft, supple and smooth. It is also known for its dream enhancing effects. Many people report dreams in which they are flying or soaring through the sky and some people have increased lucid dream activity when using Wild Asparagus Root.
6. Bobinsana (Calliandra augustafolia) – It is found in regions of Ecuador, Columbia, Peru, Brazil and Bolivia. It produces an abundance of pretty pink to reddish powderpuff-like flowers. The tree also produces a usable resinous gum. In the Amazon many indigenous peoples use bobinsana for its pain relieving, fever reducing and uterine tonic effects. It is also traditionally used to produce vivid dreams often pertaining to a person healing traumas and illnesses.
7. Mexican Tarragon(Tagetes Lucidum) – In Latin America the flower is one of the symbols representing the Day of the Dead celebrated annually. For example they are used as (“offerings”) or ofrendas in order to decorate and appreciate the graves of deceased family in honor of their deaths. Also used as an incense,dye, for flavorings in soups and meat dishes. Mexican Tarragon is great as a Dream Recollection herb and brightens dreams in general. It can be used for meditations and ceremony work as well. It is also used for its anti-viral properties.
8. Celastrus (Celastrus Paniculatus) – Celastrus is known as the Elixir of life. It has a powerful mind sharpening/memory enhancing effect and is used to promote longevity. Great for studying or to keep focused for long periods of time. People with ADD, ADHD, Brain damage, Epilepsy, Memory problems and Alzheimer’s disease may benefit greatly from this plant. Not only does it have potent memory enhancing effects during waking hours it also increases dream recollection significantly. A great way to fill your dream journal up in no time at all!
9. African Dream Bean (Entada Rheedii) – The species can be found in parts of Asia, India and Australia. Many different tribes have many different uses for this plant. Some tribes believe the seeds possess magical properties that imbue the user with good luck. Traditionally in certain parts of Africa the seed is used to induce vivid dreams, enabling the user communication with the spirit world.
10. Blue Lotus (Nymphaea Caerulea) – This herb can be deeply relaxing for the body and the mind. Its soothing qualities make it great for meditation and yogic practices. The lotus is revered in many cultures as being a sacred and holy flower. In Hinduism the lotus flower is considered to hold the highest sacred energy. Since it is known to be used for its deeply relaxing qualities, it can aid users natural ability to dream, essentially making it easier at becoming lucid.
Now that you you have some super hero herbal knowledge you can put it to the test! Keep in mind though these herbs are quite amazing! They are not for everyone. If you are pregnant, breastfeeding, take medications or have a medical condition talk with your doctor or certified practitioner before using.
If your interested in learning more about dream herbs please visit http://www.dreamcatcherbotanicals.com/#!dream-herbs/c1abm
Dream Well, Live better!
Aaron @ DreamCatcherBotanicals