In our world, you should be able to have your chocolate and have your health too! These toasted coconut chocolate truffles are just what the doctor ordered if you are looking for something dense and satisfying that won’t totally weigh you down.
You may also be pleasantly surprised how flavourful these truffles are even tough they only contain 5 simple everyday ingredients. Enjoy these with a nice cup of tea at the end of your day, or as a pick me up snack during your day, or both!
- 3 cups dried shredded coconut
- 3 cups Fresh dates, pitted and chopped
- ½ tbsp coconut oil
- pinch sea salt
- cacao or cocoa or carob powder to coat
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking tray with parchment paper. Place coconut in an even layer on baking tray and bake for 10-15 minutes or until coconut is brown and toasted. Be sure to watch it as it can go from brown to black in a very short time!
2. Remove coconut from the oven and transfer to a high speed blender or food processor. Blend with coconut oil until a smooth butter forms.
3. Add pitted chopped Fresh dates and process again until thick mixture forms. It is OK if the dates don’t get full blended in, having a few date pieces in your truffles can be tasty!
4. Remove mixture from blender and let cool in the fridge for 15 minutes.
5. Roll your mixture into 1 inch balls and coat in cacao, cocoa or carob powder.
6. Place on lined baking tray and cool in the freezer or enjoy as they are!