½ lb hot cooked potatoes
½ lb grated raw potatoes
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1½ cups buttermilk
butter for frying
salt and pepper
Drain, peel and mash the hot potatoes.
Stir in the raw potatoes, flour and baking soda. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Mix well with enough buttermilk to make a stiff batter.
Shape into 3 inch patties about ¼ inch thick and fry on hot greased griddle until crispy and golden on both sides.
Yield 12 cakes
- Mochiko mixture:
- 2 cups mochiko flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Butter mixture:
- 2 cups whole milk or 2% milk
- ¼ cup butter, melted and cooled
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons kinako (roasted soy bean flour), optional
- Preheat oven 350 degrees. Grease 8-inch square pan.
- In a mixing bowl, add mochiko flour, sugar and baking soda; mix to combine.
- In another bowl, mix together milk, butter and vanilla.
- Whisk together flour mixture with wet ingredients. Add about a third of flour ingredients at a time to milk mixture; mix until smooth.
- Pour into greased baking pan.
- Bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour.
- Cool completely, then slice with butter knife.
- Sprinkle with kinako.
While cooling, loosen sides with a butter knife.
For more great Hawai’ian kitchen recipes, click on the above image.